This is to reiterate my discussion during the class, the important things to be considered in writing up your report and in preparation of your power point presentation materials.
A. FINAL REPORT CONTENT AND FORMAT
1. Minimum of 10 pages
2. Letter Size/Short Bond Paper
3. Border line, 1 inch in all sides of the paper
4. Double space, 11-12 font size
5. Photos with caption/description - only 2 photos maximum per page. Collage is not allowed
6. Minimal design for the cover page, indicating the group number, list of members and year/block and class time schedule
7. Follow the basic rules in technical report writing that is: it contains the following: table of contents including annexes, title of table or figures, paging, and all the headings listed in the template should be included in the report.
8. In your analysis, it is recommended to "tell a story". Discuss them in details and incorporate those knowledge you learned from the class. BE INNOVATIVE in presenting the data or information by using graphs or charts and tables, or even process diagram or flow chart.
9. A list of references should be part of the report. This is only shows that some of your information were taken from the website or other sources (books, technical papers, handouts, interviews, etc.)
10. A print of the power point presentation (2 slides per page) should be included in the report. Black and white print is recommended.
11. The report should be binded by a PVC spiral material and will be handed over prior to the oral presentation. Late submission will not be allowed to present their reports.
B. POWER POINT PRESENTATION/SLIDE PRESENTATION MATERIALS
1. Use a simple design template with 3 maximum colors
2. Only include the summary of the report. Not all the information in the report will be reflected in the slide presentation.
3. Pictures/photos/graphs/charts are recommended to be incorporated in the presentation to enhance visual presentation
3. Indicate in one slide the contributions/tasks of each member in the preparation of the report and PPP materials.
4. All members will present and questions will be asked for each member.
5. Maximum of 10 minutes for the oral presentation and 5-10 minutes for the Q/A.
You can submit a draft report for review prior to finalization/binding to ensure the completeness of the report.
Please be reminded that the Oral Presentation for the FINAL GROUP REPORT will be held between 4-6 October at 8:00AM onwards, otherwise we will use the original time of the class per year/block. Each group has 10 minutes (maximum) to present the group report and 5-10 minutes for Question/Answer. All members of the group will report and each one will be asked on relevant information about the project.
The Final report (in ring bind) with a minimum of TEN PAGES (10 pages) will be submitted prior to the presentation. Power point presentation is strongly encouraged.
Last Assignment for Env Engg classes on Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) and Renewable Sources of Energy - due date on Monday, 02 Oct 2017
Since there will be interruption of classes next week (2-4 October) due to the university Sports Week, this will be the last assignment for the class. The reference materials are also posted in the website as your source of information to answer the following questions:
A. Environmental Impact Assessment
1. What is EIA (environmental impact assessment)?
2. What is environmentally critical area? Give examples.
3. What is environmentll critical project? Give examples.
4. What is Project Description?
5. What is ECC (enviromental compliance certificate)?
6. What is CNC (certificate of non-coverage)?
7. What are the 4 categories of projects under EIS system? Explain each.
B. Renewable Energy/Alternative Sources of Energy
Some of the relevant links: http://www.renewableenergy.ph/renewable-energy.html
1. What is RA 9513?
2. What is 9367?
3. What is Executive Order 462
4. What the six (6) major renewable sources of energy? Provide examples of on-going/completed projects in the country.
5. Enumerate or draw the business development process that applies to Rural Renewal Energy Services in the country.
6. What are the three basic activities in site assessment in Rural Renewal Energy Services? Briefly discuss each.
All answers will be written in your ENV ENGG notebook and submit your notebooks on or before 02 October 2017.
Three videos from youtube website are posted below (or at CE315/CE4113 ENV ENGG link) for viewing that highlighted the solid waste management practices in school, household (home), community (barangay) and market. Specifically, the video clips provide basic information to increase the level of awareness as well as the full implementation of RA 9003 - The Ecological Solid Waste Management Act 2000 with respect to the major activities covered by the law such as: processing, collection and transport, establishment of the Material Recovery Facility, and disposal. It also highlight the four components within the "processing" activities which include: segragation, re-use, recycling, and composting in school, household (home), market and in the community as a whole.
There will be questions to be given in the FINAL EXAMINATION that will be based from the central themes of the video clips. It is strongly suggested that you have to watch the clips and take down notes of the major activities featured in relation to proper management of solid wastes in accordance with RA 9003.
The copy of the guidelines is already posted in the CE315/CE4113 ENV ENGG course link. Please note of the following schedules:
Progress Report Submission : 25 September 2017
Oral Presentation: 4-6 October 2017
As initially mentioned during the class, the following questions should be answered. All answers will be written in the notebook. All the necessary resource/reference/reading materials are already available in the website.
1. What is solid waste?
2. What wastes not included/covered in RA 9003?
3. What is the role of the Ecology Centers?
4. What is a National Solid Waste Management Framework?
5. What is a Solid Waste Management Plan? Its components?
6. What are the other major activities under RA 9003?
7. What does waste processing covers?
8. What is a Materials Recovery Facility? Provide the guidelines in its establishment.
9. What are the three types of disposal. Describe each.
10. Draw/Sketch the waste management hierarchy
11. What is difficult wastes? Provide examples.
12. What is special wastes? Provide examples.
13. What are the waste-to-energy management technology options?
14. What are the basic site selection criteria for a sanitary landfill?
15. Why there is a need to engage the public/community/people in landfilll siting?
DEADLINE: 15 SEPTEMBER 2017
In addition, you have to write a reaction paper on the video clip entitled: HIWALAYAN. The reaction will cover the following questions:
a. What is the central theme of the video clip?
b. Who are the three main characters of the story? Briefly explain their roles.
c. What makes the video interesting?
d. What is the moral lesson from the story?
DEADLINE: 18 SEPTEMBER 2017